The uWatch System: for helping “prevent, reduce and solve crimes of theft”
“The Asset List part of the uWatch system includes a simple App which empowers everyone to quickly record the essential picture evidence needed for identification. The way to get rid of the organised crime business is to removes its markets and imprison its salesmen”.
Why take pictures of your possessions?
To be admissible in law as evidence the pictures of your assets must have a date and time stamp in the image, the normal pictures from your phone are not admissible.
Pictures of possessions are crucial evidence in identifying:
- Stolen goods being offered at an auction, on a website or at a boot sale
- The owner of the goods, if they are recovered by the police
- The person knowingly selling them on
- What an insurance company is actually insuring
Having your laptop stolen is not just a financial loss but could involve losses of course work and personal information, none of which is covered by insurance … even if you have it.
- To meet the police’s “Secured by Design” approval, the pictures of your possessions are stored on a certified ISO 27001 server.
What is the system and how much does it cost?
As a member of the uWatch system you will have access to:
- The Asset List App
- The “registered user web page” for adding full details and posting something as lost or stolen
- The cost is £24/year including VAT
- The “Dodgy Gear” bulletin board where items being offered for sale can be checked against the lost/stolen database
- The “Dodgy Gear” App is available as a free download
How is the Asset List used?
Once you have registered you can start creating your Asset List.
- Use the App for taking date and time stamped pictures of your possessions – Details such as serial numbers can also be added here or on the user web page
- On the user web page, you can add serial numbers, costs, full descriptions, purchase dates etc
- Print off your asset list and send it to insurance companies to confirm exactly what you want them to insure and to get the best quote
Reporting something as Lost or Stolen
On the user web page:
- Click on “report lost or stolen”
- Complete the additional information such as when and where
- Save the record to the Lost/Stolen Bulletin Board, where it will appear immediately.
“Dodgy gear” Bulletin Board:
What is it?
This is a database of all the lost/stolen items posted by uWatch members
- Most recent listings show first
- The list can be filtered by keyword and post code
Posting to the bulletin board is only available to uWatch users who have registered on the uWatch system. You can edit or delete your BB listing from your user web page.
“Dodgy gear” App:
What is it and who can use it?
The “Dodgy Gear” App is:
- Free to anyone to download from the App stores, including regulatory authorities such as the police and customs officials
- A search engine for the Bulletin Board which contains all items reported stolen
- Available to download for Android and iPhone
If you are offered or discover a stolen item that is listed, the owner or the police can be notified directly from the App.
The benefits of the uWatch System
Time stamped, photographic evidence is vital information that can help front line police officers and customs officials:
- Identify stolen goods
- Catch thieves and resellers red handed
It is 50 times more expensive to investigate a crime to get a prosecution than it is if the thief was caught red handed.
The uWatch System prevents people unknowingly buying stolen goods and most fundamental of all it removes the market for stolen goods.
- There is no point a thief stealing another laptop if they can’t sell the one they have already
- A reseller will be wary of offering stolen items where they can easily be checked against the uWatch database in places like:
- Local free ads
- Pubs and Campuses
- Car Boot Sales
- Farm Sales